Sunday, June 24, 2018

Growing a happiness tree



I was given some Albizia julibrissin seeds and sowed them straight away; well, once I'd poured boiling water over them to break their dormancy, as is suggested for seeds of that family. Of 3, one sprouted, quite soon, and is now at the stage where it will lift its head and open its wings to receive what wintery light there is here in the chilly south. I'm fussing over it; following the sunlight patches around the dining room and lounge, ensuring it falls on the tiny neo-plant as often as possible, even warming its bottom on the log fire, briefly and riskily, to nudge it toward seedling, rather than seed stage. All is well so far. Several things could however, go wrong. I could cook it by forgetting that I've perched it over the burning logs. My grandchildren could up end the pottle and curtail the project in one quick, inquisitive movement. The cat could tip the whole arrangement over during one of his nightly slinks around the house. Those possible eventualities taken into account, I'm still expecting success for my happiness tree. If it does get through to the point where there are leaves and twigs, a stem and roots, I'll plant it out of doors, in a warm and sheltered place in my garden and let nature take her course. Until next winter, and the frost that accompany that season. I suspect the happiness tree won't enjoy frost but I'll just do as I'm doing with my black passionfruit and kawakawa this winter, and drape the Albizia with burlap when the night sky looks clear and starry.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you never give up trying! I so hope the Kawakawa is a success. Tea made from the leaves is amazing. I was thinking of trying under our woodland canopy. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've a bundle of katakana seedlings arriving by courier this week; a kindly gift from a North Islander who heard I favoured it. I'll acclimatise them and plant them out once the danger of frost has passed. I have high hopes and intend to nurture them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentle action and the precautionary principle seem to be the order of things for success when growing happiness trees. Faith, hope and love-, and the greatest of these is love - agape love. As Archbishop Curry suggested at Harry and Megan's wedding - when love is the way all things are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little plant, Denis - so much to it! Perhaps Don and I could combine our skills, grow many of these happiness trees then give them out to people who would love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Robert- as it says in today's gospel reading from Mark 7: 15-20, ' by their fruits you will know them'

    ReplyDelete